Friday, April 4, 2008

A new kind of paradise...


Less than a month ago Brad and I were lounging on the beach in Jamaica, thinking that life couldn't be any better. We had the sun, the sand, exceptional food and no worries--life was good. I worried that after all of the wedding festivities and the honeymoon excitement, settling into life at home would be a bit... dull? What were we going to look forward to now? No more wedding parties, or planning... what's next?

I'll admit, the first week was a bit rocky. We were trying to find a home for all of Brad's stuff, not to mention the mountain of gifts we had received. I was adjusting to having someone else share my space, and he was figuring out how to make do with a smaller closet, fewer drawers and waking up everyday without talking to his dad. We were both a little surprised by how different it felt. I assumed that after four and a half years together him moving in would be no big deal--clearly I had forgotten what having a roomate was like.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today, a day that I couldn't imagine being any better. I like waking up next to him and having his tell me crazy stories in the morning that disrupt my routine. I love knowing that no matter what we have to do in the evenings, I'm always going to see him at the end of the day. I love married life! Don't get me wrong, he still leaves his t-shirts on the floor and doesn't pick up the bath mat until I ask him to, but instead of being annoyed, I have to laugh. I don't do his laundry like he prefers--I can't remember to dry his jeans! It's the little things that make me realize how incredibly awesome it is that we're building this new life together. We are creating our own routines--and I'm learning to let go of some of my obsessivenesss. This new life we have, it's our very own paradise, and the best part of it all is that we're already home, the vacation never ends.

Life is good. It's nice to love and be loved.

No comments: