Friday, November 7, 2008

It's all about perspective...

There has been some confusion about my last post and I think it's important to clarify. However, I think it's equally important to point out that I don't write to argue or offend anyone. This blog is totally for my venting and not for much else. Until this week, I thought that only my close friends and family read it...surprise!

First, I'm not by any means saying that electing Obama wasn't historic, it obviously was. Firsts are always a big deal. Whether we elected our first African American president or our first female VP, it was clearly a milestone. Our country continues to progress and that is encouraging. I understand how far we've come and I'm grateful for that, which is why I am discouraged by all of the racial issues surrounding this election.

My point in my last post was that it bothers me that the color of someone's skin, or someone's gender for that matter, is a qualification for office. It's not. I think it is sad if people chose to vote for Obama because they "wanted to be a part of history" and it would have been equally sad for those people that chose McCain-Palin based on Palin's sex. That's selfish, that's not putting your country or others first, that's not what our country is about.

I firmly believe that it is our duty to educate ourselves and cast our vote for the person who we believe is the most qualified to lead our great country. "Qualified" can incorporate many things (religion, policy, records, experience, character, etc.) but things such as race, sex, or age shouldn't be factors in the decision. However, I'm not so naive to believe they aren't for some people. No matter how you factor it in, it's silly. People define "qualified" differently and that's okay, I understand that, but that's not what people are arguing. That's why I'm frustrated.

The bottom line is this, we are privileged to have the opportunity to cast our vote for the person that we want to be our leader. A lot should go into that decision and while I'm glad people showed up in record numbers to vote I would be more encouraged about the progress our country is making if there were more headlines about people's faith in Obama's economic policies, or health care plans, or whatever issue is important to you, than those talking about the history being made and the racial divides. History is important and I'm thankful that I live in a country that allows anyone, regardless of race or gender, to hold the highest offices, but what's more important than that is the history that Obama chooses to make himself, history that doesn't involve skin color, history that includes our national security and our economic strength. Sure, he's the first African American president, but was he the best choice to lead our country? Only time will tell on that one, either way the election went there is clearly a lot to be proven and we'll undoubtedly see history unfold over the next four years.

Our country is at a crucial crossroad and we have a lot of ground to make up. People around the world, including me and my family, are lined up waiting to see what happens next. I truly hope that our new president finds a way to meet in the middle, for the benefit of liberals and conservatives alike, and that he is able to unite our country once again. Here's hoping that the next few years hold many unexpected pleasant surprises.

As for political rants, thank goodness election season is over--back to Oliver and the family!

No comments: