Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oliver's first week

We've officially had Oliver for a week and a half and to be honest, I had no idea how much work he would require. I also had no idea how quickly I would fall in love with him. I love it when he snuggles up next to me and gives me kisses, or when he decides to take a nap on my feet. It's nice having him to look forward to coming home to (not that I don't look forward to Brad, that's not what I meant, it's just different). We've gotten into a nightly ritual of the three of us cuddling up on the couch and watching episodes of Two and a Half Men until we can barely hold our eyes open (which isn't too late, obviously). It's so so nice--Brad and I laugh "it's our family time."


I realized on Monday just how in love with Oliver I've become. We had our first big scare. I got home from work and he clearly wasn't feeling well (I'll spare you the icky details); he looked absolutely pitiful. I knew he needed to go to the vet, so I decided that even though Brad wasn't home I was going to take him myself. This would be a good time to point out that I'm usually quite afraid of dogs and don't do very well with animals in general, so a room full in random pets and loud barks and meows is not my idea of an even mediocre evening. However, I stepped up, like all good mommies would, and took him immediately to the vet. We waited for over two hours (he was miserable) and they finally took us back. They ran some tests and had to watch him for another while--the end result, he has coccidia, a parasite that is potentially life threatening for puppies his size. The source can't really be known, it could have come from his breeder's kennel, or simply from grass or dirt. I was terrified and did not expect anyone to use the phrase "potentially life threatening" when I took him to his first vet visit. Fortunately, Brad had arrived in time for the news so he was there to comfort both me and Oliver. Sweet, sweet, Dr. Wilson sent us home with strict orders to watch for behavior changes and to give him a big dose of antibiotics every night. So far, I haven't noticed anything major. He definitely isn't acting sick.

Speaking of not acting sick, Oliver is a bit of a mischievous boy. He's into EVERYTHING! He chews bedspreads, rugs, the couch anything he can get his mouth on before we tell him "no!" We constantly have to watch him and are trying to learn how to read his "signals." We officially had ZERO accidents this morning, so I'm feeling optimistic. Brad will get home early today, so if there are any surprises to be found this time, it's his turn.

I'll post more pictures soon--he needs a haircut. Perhaps that will be our Memorial Day weekend adventure, Oliver's first hair cut--wow, we're exciting aren't we?

No comments: