Thursday, August 14, 2008

My all important review...

Thanks to our recent weekend at the each, I have finally finished my latest read--Everyone Worth Knowing by Lauren Weisberger. I was hesitant to even begin this book because while I loved the movie version of The Devil Wears Prada I was incredibly disappointed by the book (which doesn't usually happen, movies are typically far less entertaining than the story in print). However, with my upcoming move to a more defined role in Public Relations I was interested to read about the lead character, Bette's, leap into the PR world.

As I muddled through the early chapters I feared that the story would be a complete repeat of Devil Wears Prada--plain Jane steps out of a lack luster life and into NYC mainstream chaos (take out Runway fashion and insert a high profile PR company and there you have it)... well, that proved true, but despite the glaring similarities to her first book, Weisberger managed to create characters I was able to root for and scenarios that actually bordered on realistic. Reader beware--there is not much mystery here. I am usually the last one to figure out who the "bad guy" is, but in this case it was embarrassingly obvious not even half way through the book. However, that aspect of the story line isn't what kept me reading--it was the love story. An unpredictable love triangle kept me turning the pages, pulling so hard for my favorite leading fellow (side note, if this man existed in real life I would insist that my friends pursue him like man eaters).

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this book to someone looking for a simple, entertaining story. There's nothing complicated to understand and it's definitely a quick read. Overall, I'd give it a solid B. Now, I need to move on to another book. Maybe this time I should venture into something a bit more... challenging or informative? Any suggestions?

No comments: