Friday, August 15, 2008

Not so beautiful day in the neighborhood...

From the very first day I moved into our little house I have loved our neighborhood. It's clean, people are friendly and I've always felt safe. I lived alone there for more than eight months and never once felt uneasy about my safety. Well, that all slightly changed yesterday.


I was standing in my neighbor's driveway chatting after work when another neighbor from down the street pulled up. She was kind enough to explain, in detail, that her house and her neighbor's had been broken into sometime yesterday between 11:00 and 1:00. I was shocked--are people really brave enough to break into a house, one that's barely a driveway's distance from the next none the less, in the middle of the day?!? Obviously so! She hadn't figured out what all was missing yet because her home was completely torn apart, but she did notice that both hers and her husband's jewelry was gone and the kind intruders spilled drinks all over her bed! I really can't get over the nerve, and sense of entitlement that some people have. It's truly disappointing!

Needless to say all of the activity in the neighborhood has made me a little nervous. I freakishly checked the locks last night and was extra cautious going in and out. I'm not usually one to get scared, but this time it was a little too close to home. Our house is already wired for a security system, so who knows, maybe we'll activate it? I'm planning to check into some different providers. I hate to overreact, but on the other hand, I would die if I came home to a kicked in backdoor, a destroyed home and... well who knows what would happen to little Oliver! Better safe than sorry, right?

No comments: