Thursday, August 7, 2008

Two weeks notice... good idea!

I have a new understanding of why most employers only require two weeks notice upon resignation. No one wants, or needs to work more than that--it's simply a bad idea.

I am starting week two of my nearly 4 week notice and I am confident that whoever thought that a month's notice was necessary, or even a good idea, was seriously mistaken. I have worked at the Cancer Center for about a year and a half and in that time, in my natural way, I have kept everything I am responsible for in an order that could be picked up and executed by any one who comes behind me, thus making the transition easy. Having these sort of things done, I assumed that should my time to leave come I would happily be able to work out a bit of a notice and then be on my merry way... not so much. I am SLOWLY transitioning (thanks to all of those folks) and then picking up every meaningless task along the way. Want to know who's organizing other people's e-mails? ME! Hooray, I love really making a difference.

However, the upside is that all of the nonsense that continues to fill my days is making it easier to part ways with an organization that I truly do care about. Some of the people I work with are undeniably some of the nicest people I've ever met and thinking about not coming in and "debriefing" with them in the morning is somewhat depressing. Oh how things work out... I won't even begin to explain that I'll be working the entire weekend FOLLOWING my last day of employment. Yes, that's right I won't be an employee, but am somehow required to come. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fulfilling responsibilities, but this is far from that, this is payback... Nice!

I'm not going to ramble about this anymore... well at least not today. I'm simply trying to look forward to August 25th!!

No comments: