Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Our sick baby...

Our sweet fur baby is sick again. At 5 a.m. I woke up to Oliver barking a bark I've never heard before. Usually when he wakes up before morning Brad gets up with him, but this morning something told me I needed to go. I found him in his house with throw up everywhere (sorry for the grossness). I took him outside and without going into details, he was clearly super sick. I brought him back in and made him a bed in the kitchen. When I went back to check on him he'd gotten sick again and the process continued throughout the morning. By 7:30 I'd gotten dressed and gotten him ready to head to the vet.



By the time Oliver and I got to the vet I was in major panic mode. The sweet vet was very patient and talked me through all sorts of possibilities. He tested little Ollie for parvo and a variety of parasites and all tests came back negative. I was relieved that the most serious options were no longer part of the picture, but if that isn't it... what is it? He proceeded to get sick four times in the vet's office and the vet took his best guess and diagnosed him with a virus. He gave Oliver a shot and sent us home with three prescriptions, ,special food and strict orders for no food or drink for 24 hours. Oliver was miserable.


Fortunately, Charles (Brad's dad) was planning to come over and wait for the alarm people today (another rant for another day) so he was able to check on Oliver during the day.


Oliver seems to be feeling at least a little better tonight. My awesome mom came by before we got off work and dropped off dinner so that we could spend all of our time tonight with our little buddy. We've been giving him all sorts of love, but unfortunately we haven't been able to get him to take his medicine. How do you get a dog to swallow 2 pills without any food or water? He absolutely hates his liquid medicine, therefore giving him that ended up with him getting about 2 mls of the concoction in his mouth and the other 3 mls were split evenly between the kitchen floor and my face (I was holding him while Brad tried to give it to him). I'm hoping to mix the pills in with his special food in the morning and that he'll come around to the liquid. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the medicine process easier, I'd be super happy to hear them!


Say a little prayer for Oliver tonight; let's hope he's on the road to recovery.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

We are so sorry to hear that poor Oliver is so sick. If you can get the meds in his mouth, then blow on his nose and he is forced to sallow. If he needs someone to check on him this week be sure to let me know.